Saturday 5 November 2011

ReviewUnited's Own Interview With Ex-United Player Kevin Pilkington:


1) Firstly, what were the most famous players you were lucky enough to work with...Giggsy, Becks?
There are to many really! Becks is obviously right up there and such a great guy. Cantona, Keane and many more but to work for Sir Alex is an absolute honour!


2) What was it like to train along side Peter Schmeichal, did he give you much advice on being a goalkeeper?
I was so privileged to be at United at the same time as Peter, who in my opinion was the best GK of all time. He did give me advice but I learnt more by just watching him train and play. I used to sit on the bank at the cliff training ground when he was training and watch in amazement at some of the saves he pulled off.


3) What was it like playing at Old Trafford, and how good was the atmosphere?
Awesome stadium! The fans were fantastic to me and still are and it was such a dream to play there when it was full.
4) You were limited to first team opportunities, did this frustrate you?
Obviously I was frustrated but I realised that I had the best GK in the world in front of me. In hindsight I would have been a little bit more patient but hindsights a great thing. I will always look back on the games that I played with immense pride.


5) What was the highlight of your six or so years you spent at Old Trafford?
Winning the FA youth cup, making my debut against Crystal Palace, playing and training with some of the best players in the world, working with Sir Alex and all his coaching staff!


6) How well do you remember the 0-3 defeat to York City, was this humiliating?
Very well! Of course it was a bad night for myself and the rest of the team but it has happened since against Southend and I'm sure it will happen again. That's cup football. It wasn't nice to be part of that.
7) What was your relationship with Sir Alex like?
It was good. He was truthful and honest with me and that's all you can ask for. I gave 100% in everything I did and that's what is expected of you.


8) Who do you remember wanting to beat the most in a United shirt? City, Liverpool, Chelsea?
For me it was Liverpool and city. Wether it was for the b team reserves or 1st team there was always a massive rivalry. I can remember being on the bench at Liverpool getting m&m's thrown at me!


9)  Who is the current best Goalkeeper in the world?
That's a tough one. I don't think one really stands out at the moment. Buffon maybe? Joe Hart will be up there in a few years.


10) What would you say to young footballers trying to progress into professional football?
Enjoy your football, work as hard as possible and listen to what people are telling you.
11) Messi or Ronaldo?


Both are very different types of player but for his footballing genius Messi. Dont get me wrong I love watching Ronaldo but the way Messi plays is mesmerising!


12) Who, in your opinion will the top league goalscorer this season?
Van Persie


13) Who will win the League this season?
United!!!!!


14) Finally, do you regret staying at United for so long and not playing a lot of first team footy?
I've played over 400 1st team games so I haven't done to bad. I wish I had stayed longer at United because I loved my time there and it was a privilege to be part of the biggest club in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment